ANNOUNCEMENT: The PythonWare py152 distribution (june 5, 2000)

Hung Jung Lu hungjunglu at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 13 17:24:01 EDT 2000

--- In python-list at egroups.com, "PythonWare" <info at p...> wrote:
> > > Second: It will not register Python in the registry. which then causes
> > > win32_all not to install.
>
>It's done this way on purpose -- lots of people (including us) like to
>be able to install things without messing up the registry.

To put in some good words for PythonWare. I still remember from 3 years ago
how hard it was for newbies to install Python. It was very confusing, you
have to figure out what goes into where, and you have to handle the path
information. And in the middle of all the chaos, there was Pythonware: you
download it, click, and done. Back then, PythonWare saved the day for many a
newbie.

Just as PythonWare, I am not a strong registry believer. I would like to be
able to fully control my software programs, so I can build things, and move
it to another computer (or even another operating system) and be sure that
it will work. So I would not put things in the registry. (This perhaps has
something to do with my background: I used to write cross-platform game
software that had to run both on Mac and PC. So how good was Windows
registry to me on a Mac? It's clear that the registry is just another tool
in the pocket of Bill to subjugate programmers into the Windows Evil Empire.
OK, maybe it's not so bad, but it is still really nice to be able to make
things not dependent on the registry, if they need to be moved around.)

Hung Jung