Why not a "Deluxe" Python-distribution

Thomas Weholt thomas at cintra.no
Wed Jun 7 09:13:13 EDT 2000

Hi,

Wouldn`t it be nice to have a deluxe edition of Python, with lots of
the adopted modules not in the standard distro? Like PIL, PST, code
from the sigs, database drivers etc.

Alot of you might say its not needed since modules are easy to install
etc., but I think compiling code etc., which is necessary for some of
the available modules, scare newbies away from expanding python. Then
python might not do the job for them, and they chose another language
instead.

Take the sigs xml-package for instance, I`ve had serious problems
getting this one to work, and by the looks of postings here, so have a
few others. This should be a standard part of the python-distro in my
opionon, being one of the areas where python is really getting
attention, in press and online.

What are the main obstacles or objections for making either a add-on
package containing the most popular modules or adding more modules to
the standard python distro as default?

I know I`ve asked a similar question before, but I`ve looked into
doing it myself but don`t have time right now, so I was hoping
somebody else out there just lost there job, got divorced or for some
other reason had time to kill ;->

Thomas