spaces in filenames

ben at co.and.co ben at co.and.co
Sun Jun 11 17:16:10 EDT 2000

Tim Peters <tim_one at email.msn.com> wrote:
> [ben . de . rydt at pandora . be]
>> Try opening a "some bitmap with a space.bmp" in Paint, by
>> double-clicking (Win95/98).
>
> OK ... and it worked fine (Win95a -- the first, albeit up-to-date with
> service packs), whether double-clicking from within Paint -> Open, or
> double-clicking from within Explorer, or even typing the name (spaces and
> all) by hand from within Paint -> Open.  It's only from a DOS box that I
> need to slap quotes around the name.

Stop abusing that time machine. You retro-actively changed
the behaviour on my computer too. Anyway, the computers I was talking
about, had been through the Win3.11, Win95, Win98 upgrade path, and I
suppose there's some 16 bit Paint lingering around. And of course, I
can't check them anymore, unless you lend me that time machine.

Anyway, the argument is moot because I suspect 99% of all UNIX-scripts
fail on filenames with spaces too. And no, the time machine isn't
that powerful.

Greetings,
--
ben . de . rydt at pandora . be ------------------ your comments