Shoud I use Java or Python?

Roger Hansen rogerha at ifi.uio.no
Mon Jun 26 15:19:25 EDT 2000

* Davide Del Vento

> Hello world!
> I am a physicist, with experience in "C" language (not too much C++)
> and no previous web-based experiences. Now I have to develop some
> applications based on a client-server queries on databases and
> remote (but not only) big images manipulation. It should work
> indepentently of client platform and it should be simply ported from
> windows to linux server.
>
> This project will be used by scientist that will be interested in
> use some of the ESA's SMART-1 images, see
> http://sci.esa.int/home/smart-1/index.cfm for details.
>
> I think that using java will be fine (I will call "exec" in order to
> run other application that will do the eavy work on server), but
> what's about python? I use linux and I found it installed on my PC,
> so I visited the web-site (and the newsgroup), but I don't
> understand if there are some advantage in writing phyton application
> instead in writing Java ones or not (for my case, obviously).

Many discussions about Java vs. Python have found place here. Try
searching at deja.com. Especially the "java vs. python" thread had
some fine articles.

I would of course recommend Python (suprise, suprise!), since python
code looks nicer, are easier to code, more maintainable and easy to
extend. (This are my subjective views.)

There is also a comparison at

Good luck