pythonservice on NT

Mark Hammond MarkH at ActiveState.com
Fri Jun 30 01:02:01 EDT 2000

markh at activestate.com - but if you think I speak for them, you dont know
Dick!
"Gordon McMillan" <gmcm at hypernet.com> wrote in message
news:8F628CD32gmcmhypernetcom at 199.171.54.194...
> Dale Burnett wrote:
>
> >Do all services run under one pythonservice process?
>
> No.

Gordon is (of-course :-) correct - no 2 Python services run in the same
process.  But it is true that all Python services generally share the same
executable (which is what I think you meant to ask!)

> >If not then is
> >there a way to change the name pythonservice in NT TaskManager to
> >something more descriptive?
>
> class MailFetchService(win32serviceutil.ServiceFramework):
>     _svc_name_ = "MailFetchService"
>     _svc_display_name_ = "Fetch SMTP mail on regular schedule"

Actually, that only changes the name in the "services" control panel, and
not the name in the task manager.  You can simply rename
"PythonService.exe" to anything else you like, and re-register the .exe.
Your service will also need special registration code to determine the
name of the .exe it wants to use.

It has been designed to work this way, so it wont be hard! However, I cant
recall the exact details - use the source, Luke :-)

Mark.