Python vs. Matlab

Helge Avlesen avle at rogn.ii.uib.no
Sat Jun 17 09:39:54 EDT 2000

I have become almost addicted to Matlab after using it extensively for
some years, however, the licencing feels very strict after getting
used to free and very good quality software like Emacs, Linux, etc.

My main use of Matlab is reading in large binary files into
arrays(output from simulations), do some processing with various
matrix routines, then extract sections of the 3D arrays for plotting.

Spotted Python some months ago, and liked it!  Can Python, Numpy and
the many plotting extensions be used as a replacement for Matlab, is
Python slower/faster etc.?

It would be nice to hear some experiences!

--
Helge Avlesen