what is lambda?

david_ullrich at my-deja.com david_ullrich at my-deja.com
Thu Jun 29 11:11:48 EDT 2000

In article <erq65.11249$227.232310 at nnrp1.uunet.ca>,
  "Warren Postma" <embed at NOSPAM.geocities.com> wrote:

> >    You should note there's varying opinions on whether
> > lambda is a good thing - if you're a beginner at programming
> > as well as with Python it's not the first thing you should
> > worry about.
>
> It also (in my case) expanded the vocabulary I use internally (my own
> pseudo-code-language) to include concepts that are not easily
expressable in
> less dynamic languages. In other words, lambda was a kind of
> who's-programming-who keyword. Rather than expanding only the
language, it
> also opened up my brain a bit wider.

     Oh, I feel the same way, seeing a lambda something was
very, I can't come up with exactly the right word but learning
how it worked was _definitely_ <right word> for me as well.
The idea that we can define a function as the value of an
expression (ie without a function definition) is not only keen,
it also serves to clarify a little just what a function _is_.

DU

> Warren

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.