Python complements C++ for productivity

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at news.hex.net
Wed Jun 21 19:59:43 EDT 2000

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Courageous would say:
>John Schmitt wrote:
>>
>> When I first opened Pythonwin, I used the Python/Perl phrasebook.  Very
>> useful to me.  I don't know the STL very well (I don't even know what the
>> SWIG is) so I couldn't write one, but how hard would be to write a Python
>> <-> C++/STL phrasebook?
>
>Well, while there is much more to the STL these days than
>in its early years, in many ways the STL is about containers,
>and iterating over them. While in C++, this is a complicated
>subject matter, in Python, it's not.
>
>There are really only "two and a half" container classes
>in Python:
>
>Dictionaries,
>Lists (which are analagous to C++ vectors),
>and Tuples (which are immutable lists).
>
>I haven't seen any of these phrase books, but Python is just
>soooo easy. There's really not much to it.

The appalling thing is that I can't really see all that much that you
gain for the added complexity.
--
cbbrowne at ntlug.org - <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>
Rules of the Evil Overlord #4. "Shooting is not too good for my