python is hard to learn without c

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at gssec.bt.co.uk
Mon Jun 19 07:28:06 EDT 2000

Bijan Parsia wrote:
> Another point, there are many different things one might
> expect out of a book entitled *Learning Python*
>         1) Learning Python while/as a means to learning *programming
>         2) Learning Python while/as a means to learning *OOP in
>         3) Learning Python as yet another oop language under your

This is a very good point. In trying to find a title for
my forthcoming book we have been round several loops
trying to find a title which correctly implies its aims.
Each batch of reviews has suggested new wording!

In my case we're aiming for (1) above and the current
working title is:
"Learning to Program using Python"

It could still change but feedback as to whether that really
implies what I want would be useful(by email so as not to
bog down the group?)

> Books which do a good job of meeting an expectation which falls under
> one of these classes might well do a terrible job meeting other types.

Absolutely, which is why it's important to set the right
expectation. My book does not teach all of Python, it
doesn't even use the most efficient Python techniques
for some things, rather it tries to teach techniques
that are applicable in nearly all languages, with Python
merely being a conveniently concise/simple demonstration tool.

Alan G.