I need a lesson.

Bjorn Pettersen bjorn at roguewave.com
Wed Jun 7 20:36:28 EDT 2000

"F. G. Brown" wrote:

> Greetings,
> I just recently started learning to program using Python, and to be honest
> when it comes to programming I'm almost dumb as a rock.  I've done some
> Qbasic, but I consider it a dead language as far as the future is concerned
> and wish to concentrate my efforts with Python.
> Here's the rub.  The following is a module called howfast.py that I can't
> get to repeat.  In Qbasic I would have used a goto at the end and it would
> have worked fine.  Of course there is no goto in Python and that where I can
> use anyone's help.  See if you can understand what I'm trying to accomplish
> below, it's a little scrambled towards the end, and tell me the error of my
> ways.  I have the book "Learning Python" but I'm still stuck.  If there are
> any questions I'll be glad to reply.
> Thanks,
> Fred
> ?????????????????????????????????????????????
>
> howfast.py

Welcome to Python!

Something like:

d = 'y'
while d == 'y':
    a = input("What is the distance you traveled in miles?  ")
    b = input("How many seconds did it require?  ")
    c = a*3600.00/b
    print "You were going %d mph!" %c
    if c > 75:
        print "Hey you better slow down!"
    d = raw_input ("Would you like to do another? (y)es or (n)o")
    if d == 'y':
        print 'Here we go!'
    else:
        print 'See ya!'

will work. Here are some other suggestions (free of charge ;-)

 - do yourself a favor and use more than one space to indent
   (it's much easier to read with e.g. four space indents).
 - name your variables distance, seconds, speed, and answer
   instead of a, b, c, and d (when you come back to your
   code in a couple of days you'll be glad you did :-)

-- bjorn