Python Productivity over C++ (Encapsulation)

Hung Jung Lu hungjunglu at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 15 14:35:21 EDT 2000

--- In python-list at egroups.com, Ken Seehof <kens at s...> wrote:
>"Frank V. Castellucci" wrote:
> > Courageous wrote:
> > While the last line seems rather toungue in cheek, there are other
> > things that C++ brings to the table such as encapsulation, access
> > control and type strictness.
>Encapsulation, access control and type strictness are often erroneously
>referred to as if they were features.  They aren't.  They are aspects of a
>design philosophy.  To make a system less error prone, constrain the
>programmer
>in order to prevent the programmer from writing bugs.  ...
>You have to ask, "what is the actual value of these features?"  The answer
>is
>that they prevent certain kinds of bugs from appearing.

Type strictness is fine. It has all to do with performance: small, fast,
efficient machine code. Encapsulation is a totally different story.

One of the biggest lies in modern computer language theory is that
encapsulation is there for a good technical reason.

And generations of students were lied to, and sadly, 99% believed in what
the textbooks said. Some of them became programmers, and only after 15 or 20
years in the field would they wake up one day to realize that, heck, they've
been lied to all along. :) (Doesn't all this remind you of Nazis and
Communism? Collective blindness is far more common that you think, ha!)

Encapsulation is not there for any technical reason. All the technical
reasons are simply little white lies. Encapsulation has one and only one
purpose: CORPORATE POWER CONTROL. Period.

Encapsulation is not a feature. It's an enslaving tool. Corporates like it,
a lot lot, and demand for it to perpetuate (through Java.)

If one day Java becomes a legacy language and loses the battle against
open-source languages like Python, it's exactly because people are waking up
and liberating themselves from the corporate handcuffs.

I just don't see how those little white lies can perpetuate after Visual
Studio 7.0 incorporates Visual Python. Sleepyheads will wake up, and the
corporate tower will start to collapse. Not a bad thing. :)

Hung Jung

(Python desginers have left out the "private" keyword because... because
they've got some brain.) :)