TCP packet size?

chris chris at rpgarchive.com
Thu Jun 15 02:53:15 EDT 2000

Is there a way to ensure or predict packet size when using TCP?  I'm
developing a Multi-user application that functions much like a
muli-player game.  The applications are sharing xml data.  The xml data
can get very big 3000-6000 bytes.  Unfortunately, when the size of the
network message gets over about 2000, its to get broken up into smaller
packets.  So, when I send a 3000 byte message it gets cut up into 2-3
packets.  Anther problem I get is when I send two small messages back to
back, they are sometimes received together.  Is there something I'm
missing here?

I tried using headers and breaking up messages into smaller chunks, but
the size of the receiving packets doesn't always match what I sent.  I'd
appreciate any help or suggestions on how I can tackle this problem.
I'd be happy to send someone my network code.

Thanks

--
chris davis
chris at rpgarchive.com