python is hard to learn without c

Perlfreak perlfreak at my-deja.com
Wed Jun 14 11:36:50 EDT 2000

I have to say, in response to everyone that programming is like a
muscle.  The more you use it the better you get.  If you start with a
language like C++ you are using a large flabby muscle that it is
impossible to do anything with until you have worked and worked it.

However, if you transfer those programming skills (as I did) to Perl or
Python or another language (except Java/VB), suddenly the world seems a
better place because they are smaller muscles (Note: I do not mean less
powerful or important), and therefore easier and quicker to work up get
strong.

I would never advocate learning C++ for use in any other environment
other than high powered applications.  For the Web, Python is an
excellent language, as is Perl (please no hate mail!), because speed is
not so much of an issue, but the powerful constructs are still there.
For other development, I would probably advocate the use of these other
languages purely for speed.

The best way to learn is to find someone who knows the language and get
them to take you through the simple constructs and ideas of the
language.  After that, using this list is a brilliant way of asking
questions.  However, I still think hacking is such a fun way to program
(even though it doesn't produce wonderfully perfect programs all the
time!).

Personally, just learn python and stick with it.  You will learn the
transferrable skills (ie data structures, objects) for something like
C++ as you go along (although they may not seem to some to be as
powerful or well implemented as C++) and then something like python
becomes invaluable.

Currently I know C++, Perl, Python (less than Perl, but I like it),
ASP, Cold Fusion.  I started on C++, hacked it for a year, and then
started web programming with Perl.  I found I could write what it took
me a year to learn and write with C++ in about two weeks with Perl,
including learning it. I am now learning Python because of the simpler
syntax than Perl, and the way the language is implemented. I wish I had
started with Perl or Python, just because they're quicker to learn and
develop with.

I hope this is helpful.

Paul

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/