Case-sensitivity: why -- or why not? (was Re: Damnation!)

Tim Rowe digitig at cix.co.uk
Sat Jun 3 19:49:00 EDT 2000

In article <slrn8jikci.ctd.wtanksle at dolphin.openprojects.net>,
wtanksle at dolphin.openprojects.net (William Tanksley) wrote:

> This is a classical example of false dichotomy ;-).  I liked Python's
> indentation not because it enforced consistency, but rather because it
> makes code look good.

But, of course, the programmer could make C look just as good by applying
consistent layout. The nice thing about Python is that the programmer
/will/ apply (locally) consistent layout.

> In fact, it could be argued that Python does
> _not_
> enforce consistency; the programmer is free to choose any indentation
> for
> each block, so long as each block can be parsed (which does require
> internal consistency).

And, of course, one is free to choose any legal identifier, so the case
sensitivity doesn't enforce consistency either.

> So I don't really care about languages enforcing consistency; if I need
> it, I'll enforce it myself.

Great. Ever maintain anybody else's code?

> Take a lesson from the people complaining
> about Python's indentation: one of the leading false accusations is that
> it's inflexible, that it won't allow people to choose thier own
> indentation.

Lesson taken. I won't give any credence to those who complain about case
sensitivity on the same grounds.