Does Python help with the no-Unix handicap?

mkx at excite.com mkx at excite.com
Mon Jun 12 02:29:26 EDT 2000

On 12 Jun 2000 06:11:44 GMT, dana_booth <dana at oz.net> wrote:

>mec: So my question is this: Is Python a more "Windows-friendly" language?
>
>Okay, I couldn't leave this alone. :)
>
>I think "Windows-friendly" is relative. I know Windows only programmers who
>can out-Perl just about anyone. (FWIW, I'm in the UNIX crowd. :)

I should have replaced "Windows-friendly" with "less painful to
non-Unix users"...

I come from a DOS->NetWare->OS/2->Windows path. Due to the nature of
my local marketplace, you are either Windows, Unix, or unemployed. So
by default, I do Windows. It is not always fun, but it pays the bills
well.

At this point, Python represents a bit of sanity...I can use it for
many of my Windows projects, without having to be totally Windows
bound (VB, etc.) While most commercial projects have defined tools
where I must grin and bear it, some just allow me to "get the job
done", and I can choose the best tool for the job, and for my self.
So, to a degree, some of the attraction to Python is that can me "more
fun." And after a while, that can be important too.