Newbie questions

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Tue Jun 13 05:30:18 EDT 2000

On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 09:10:35PM -0700, jim roush wrote:

> I'm just learning Python.  The following code does not work.  It's
> supposed to calculate the circumference after the user enters the
> radius.  The program displays the prompt, but when I enter the radius
> and the press enter, nothing happens.

> FYI, I'm using Python 1.5.2 on WinNT.

Your program should work fine, and it does, here. However, if you are using
IDLE, the problem is a known bug in IDLE ;) You have to type the number and
press enter in a different window than the one that shows the 'Enter is the
radius:' text. I dont have the exact text of the bug at hand, sorry, but if
you fiddle around, you'll find the right window.

It's fixed in newer versions of IDLE, by the way, as well as a number of
other things. If you use IDLE a lot, you might want to grab the newer
version: http://www.python.org/idle

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>