Why whitespace denotation of blocks doesn't work.

Neil Hodgson neilh at scintilla.org
Wed Jun 21 01:31:31 EDT 2000

> It would be nice if an editor had a vertical guide, much as some
> of the drawing programs do. You can click and drag the guide around,
> leaving a vertical line drawn across your editor, allowing you to
> move up and down in the file to see what matches that indentation
> level.

   I've been adding a similar feature to Scintilla/SciTE, motivated by this
thread. Rather than a generic draggable guide, there is one 'indentation
guide' displayed (as a light coloured, dotted line) for each indentation
level. When brace highlighting highlights a pair of braces on separate lines
then the indentation guide associated with those braces is highlighted. For
Python the ':' matches to the end of the statement. Well, most of the time
it does in the current implementation :(

   Neil