Python Productivity over C++

Courageous jkraska1 at san.rr.com
Thu Jun 15 02:18:14 EDT 2000

> As someone who uses and likes both C++ and Python, I think estimates
> like that are excessively simplistic.

Me, too. And yet I will claim that I've become *more* productive
in Python after a brief 4-6 weeks of use than I am in C++ after
15 years of use, and that's no exaggeration. If Python executed
as fast as other languages, I'd be tempted to *require* that our
staff use it. And please don't take this wrong; I'm no language
groupie -- I use C, C++, Java, Python, and Lisp -- all of them both
lately and frequently.

> I use C++ for commercial programming, because it gives me the power and
> control I need.  Productivity isn't the best when measured in time to
> get the first prototype running, but I've found nothing better when
> measured in time to develop, deploy, maintain and support something a
> customer will pay for.

Shrug. If it weren't for execution speed, your C++ environment would
be toast. Admit it. :)-

C/