Nth digit of PI

Robert Szefler xxx at yellow13.mimuw.edu.pl
Wed Jun 21 11:34:16 EDT 2000

In article <t7545.239$ZR1.2944 at news.uswest.net>, Jeff Massung wrote:
>Please, this interests me -- I've had differention equations, but that's as
>far as I go. In theory, pi (and e) are infinite, but has that been proven
>that there is not end to their decimals?
>
>Jeff

oh, come on, pi and e are irrational, so their decimal representations are
infinite and non-periodic. It's quite easy to prove e's irrationality. And
it's a bit harder for pi.
Moreover, they're transcendental numbers (do I spell it right?) ie. not a
root of any integer-coefficient-polynomial. This is substantially harder
to prove than the above ones.

steve