PIL (PYTHONPATH) install question

David Fenyes dfenyes at flash.net
Tue Jun 20 01:57:30 EDT 2000

Hello, I havne installed NumPy on Mandrake 7.0, which seems to work,
and just compiled PIL, which loads when I enter the build dir, set
PYTHONPATH to '$PWD:$PWD/PIL', and do:

>>> import _imaging
>>> import Image

The library loads OK.  However, when I do:

        $ cp PIL.pth /usr/local/lib/Python1.5/site-packages
        $ mkdir /usr/local/lib/Python1.5/site-packages/PIL
        $ cp *.so PIL/* /usr/local/lib/Python1.5/site-packages/PIL

where PIL.pth contains 'PIL', loading "Image" gives:

Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: No module named Image

Is there something simple I missed?  Thanks for any pointer.

David.

David Fenyes  --  dfenyes at home.com