Using Python instead of Perl?

Doug Stanfield DOUGS at oceanic.com
Sun Jun 18 13:05:24 EDT 2000

[Jim said:]
> I am trying to use nmap to test my own network and automate the process.

What's nmap?

> I keep seeing perl being used for this type of work , but was hopeing
> that Python could do this with out all the lines of code needed for
> perl. Is perl a better choice than Python for this?

I don't think Perl is a better choice for anything IMHO. :-)

I use Python for network management tasks and find I can do everything _I_
need to do.  I think Perl has a larger user base, particularly in comparison
to those using Python for net mgmt tasks.  This means you'll find more
people that have solved your kinds of problems.  As evidenced by my question
above, your problems might not be my problems so I may not have spent time
building solutions.

That being said, I'm strongly biased towards the modularity and OO abilities
of Python.  I see on a daily basis that I'm more productive as a programming
wannabe than a Perl using co-worker.  Not all of the solutions may be out of
the box, but I can usually whip up something faster than he can find or
build it.

> Any help would be welcomed.
> Thanks.

I hope you stick with Python and help to build towards a critical mass using
it for net mgmt tasks.  Give me a link for nmap and I may very well want to
help there.

-Doug-