spaces in filenames

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Jun 14 00:06:23 EDT 2000

> So what? Unix has supported both for a long long time. You
> just escape the spaces or quote the names.... The only
> programs that seem to get really confused are Win16 or
> old DOS programs.

Just last year, I got a comercial 'WIN9x' program which installed itself,
by default, in "Program Files" and then would not run because of the space
(ie, it could not find itself or something).  It ran fine when I put it in
"Programs".  Who knows, probably some old code buried within.  So there is
a real problem which has cost this one user at least 2 hours over the
years.  Now how many million others ...