PyOpinion: Does Python Programming Marginalize You?

Tim Rowe digitig at cix.co.uk
Tue Jun 6 18:20:00 EDT 2000

In article <393D2797.4E4EE7CC at wag.caltech.edu>, rpm at wag.caltech.edu
(Richard P. Muller) wrote:

> superior design may not be able to overcome. I have Ada-programming
> friends who mumble about Ada's superiority over C++; that may be the
> case, but does it really matter anymore?

I am convinced that that whole argument is a red herring. Ada is superior
to C++. /And/ C++ is superior to Ada. For different jobs. You're not going
to write a major safety-critical application in C++, at least not in any
country that's got any sort of safety regulatory framework. And you're not
going to write a general-purpose operating system in Ada. I have a
friend who designs racing car instrumentation systems who reckons that
FORTH is the only way to go. The question is /never/ "what is the best
language", it is always "what is the best language /for/ /this/ /task/".