Suggestion: "Completing" HTTP support in Python.

Robb Shecter shecter at darmstadt.gmd.de
Fri Jun 16 08:50:37 EDT 2000

Edward Jason Riedy wrote:

> And Oleg Broytmann writes:
>  -
>  - GET: ...
>  - POST: ...
>
> You only answered half of his request.  The other half is _not_
> supported by urllib: adding HTTP headers.

Correct.  There were a few things I mentioned in my post that aren't handled in Python.

> I believe he's looking for a libwww-perl equivalent in Python.
> I am, too.  LWP is one major reason I still write Perl code on
> a daily basis...

Interesting.  Thanks for the link.  We absolutely should borrow from another language's model if it's been shown to work, etc.
I'll take another look at LWP, but I can imagine the library being even easier to use than the sample code you gave.  Here's an
example from an HttpConnector class I wrote in Java:

 connector = new HttpConnector();
 connector.setURL( aURL );
 connector.addParameter( "username", "robb" );
 result = connector.post(10);                  // Specify a 10-second timeout
// ...and later we could do...
 connector.clearParameters();
 result2 = connector.get();

- Robb