spaces in filenames

echuck3 at my-deja.com echuck3 at my-deja.com
Thu Jun 15 09:18:30 EDT 2000

In article <8F545A89Agmcmhypernetcom at 199.171.54.154>,
  gmcm at hypernet.com (Gordon McMillan) wrote:
> Paul Prescod wrote:
>
> >Try double clicking a PDF document with a space in its path. Adobe
> >Acrobat 4 will not find it. It's annoying as hell because Internet
> >Explorer puts files from the Web in the "Temporary Internet Files"
> >directory.
>
> That's the installer's fault, not Acrobat 4's. Just (double)quote the
%1 in
> the open action for the file type.
>
> I get a big kick out of MS's habitual use of paths with embedded
spaces.
> Sort of a barometer of hubris.
>
> - Gordon

Perhaps they do it on purpose so that programmers will get their act
together and support pathnames with spaces. As someone already pointed
out, this has been supported for many years on UNIX and I guess about 5
on Windows.

I don't care for Microsoft, but I have to say it's the developers who
have screwed up this time.

What's wrong with the developers at Adobe that [a] they can't handle a
space and [b] their pre-release testing didn't find this?

-Chuck

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.