SMTP with Python 1.6

Grant Edwards ge at nowhere.none
Mon Jun 26 17:05:28 EDT 2000

In article <8j80qa$5d0c$1 at nntp6.u.washington.edu>, Donn Cave wrote:
>Quoth ge at nowhere.none (Grant Edwards):

>>> 'Localhost' will not work. You have to make this the address of
>>> a valid SMTP-server.
>>
>> Gosh, on all my computers, "localhost" is the address of a
>> valid SMTP-server.  Are your computers all broken?
>
>Some choice, broken vs. broken into.

The only SMTP server I run on a machine accessible to the
outside world is qmail.  I am quite confident that it is not a
point of vulnerability.

>SMTP service is only required for hosts that accept or redistribute mail.
>If you know "localhost" is going to work, that's fine, but in the general
>case it's liable not to, and sys-admin isn't even likely to be very
>sympathetic.

I guess I'm spoiled.  I exped all of my computers to be willing
to accept e-mail.  Most of them won't relay incoming SMTP
requests, but that's by choice.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Now my EMOTIONAL
                                  at               RESOURCES are heavily