Nth digit of PI

david_ullrich at my-deja.com david_ullrich at my-deja.com
Wed Jun 7 13:39:07 EDT 2000

In article <393D999B.E1150BCB at home.com>,
  Rajarshi Ray <rajarshi at home.com> wrote:
> Kirby Urner wrote:
> >
> > Rajarshi Ray <rajarshi at home.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Besides the gee-whiz aspect of such algorithms, do they have any
value?
> > >After all, what makes pi pi is ALL of its digits in a particular
> > >sequence.
> >
> > Supposedly there were some deep points about number
> > theory in this vicinity -- according to the web pages
> > anyway.  I'm no expert.
>
> Ah, that's what I wanted to hear. The importance of this discovery is
> then what makes pi amenable to such a calculation, and also if other
> transcendental numbers can be treated like this e.g. 'e'.

    You wonder if I've ever heard of "Google", but you're unable
to click on the links he provided, even after I suggested you do so.

> Don't you just hate presumptuous bastards like Ullrich who will jump
> your gun without even considering if you actually have a point??

   Jump what gun? I've done nothing but ask _questions_ about your
"point" - questions which you have simply refused to answer.

   When most people have points they're willing to explain when
people ask about the details.

>Perhaps
> you should be glad you're a non-expert; the more expert you get, it
> seems the more of a pompous ass you become too.
>
> > Anyway, the "gee whiz" factor isn't to be underestimated,
> > either.
> >
> > Kirby
>
> --
> Sir, I have found you an argument. I am not obliged to find you
> an understanding.
>
>                                                - Samuel Johnson

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.