Probably a dumb question

Ian Maurer ian_maurer at my-deja.com
Fri Jun 9 14:30:32 EDT 2000

In article <394106F9.A58F87CE at micron.net>,
  Peter Immarco <android at micron.net> wrote:
> Hi,  still waiting for my two books on Python from Amazon.  I know
> Python is a full programming language so it can be used on web servers
> for server side processing, but what about browser side processing?
Can
> I also use it to create an 'applet' that runs in a compatible browser?
> I'm guessing not likely because I don't think IE4+ or Netscape
> Communicator support Python but I'm hoping I'm wrong.
>
> Thanks,
> Peter.

If the platform you are developing for is windows then Internet
Explorer 4+ will work since it supports Active Scripting. You can plug
in python as your script language (instead of Javascript or VBScript)
and it should work. I never tried it, but it's in Mark Hammond and Andy
Robinson's Python Programming on Win32, so it must be true (page
437). :)

The major hurdle for deployment is that you will need to download and
install Python AND the win32 extensions onto the client machine.

Good Luck,
Ian Maurer

Get PDOS for an enhanced command line experience:
http://hammer.prohosting.com/~pyguy

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.