TCP packet size?

Mike Fletcher mfletch at tpresence.com
Wed Jun 14 04:08:14 EDT 2000

Standard approach in these cases is to use one of a (large number of
schemes, with large numbers of variations on each one) for encoding your
information.  Some simple examples:

    Data Length Encoding: length, data, length, data... --> an encoded
length value, followed by x bytes (or words, or what have you) of data.
Other end reads length, then reads until it has that length of information
(appending the results of reads until the total is equal to the desired
length, storing any remainder for later use if they are under length).  This
is most popular in binary formats and UDP protocols, where byte offsets seem
more natural and messages are discrete.  It is more efficient in most cases
than other systems.  It is somewhat fragile, in that if you lose the length
byte you can wind up foobared (since you can never again determine where
message boundaries are again in that stream).  In case of such failure, you
need to re-establish the stream/connection (expensive).  See any number of
formats from the C/C++ worlds, see also Python's pickle format (if I'm
remembering correctly).

    Markup: escaped data, escape character (or sequence), escaped data,
...--> read data until you get escape character (or set of characters, or
what have you), then process the message.  If the escape character is not
the last byte you received, then wait for the next bit of data and append,
repeat until you get a message, storing any remainder for the next
iteration.  This is more popular in human-readable data, and is what
XML-based protocols use.  See also Mime encoding (multipart).

    Control channel encoding: secondary channel gives indices into the
second as boundaries for messages.  Multi-media control protocols often use
this approach (they don't want to touch the multimedia stream, just let the
client know where to start/stop reading, etceteras).

HTH,
Mike