1.6: TMTOWTDI (was Re: String.join revisited (URGENT for 1.6))

Justin Sheehy dworkin at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Jun 2 16:22:20 EDT 2000

aahz at netcom.com (Aahz Maruch) writes:

> I think this is one of the better arguments against ''.join().  The
> number of people who think this is "natural" is relatively small, *and*
> it goes against the Python philosophy of having only one obvious way to
> accomplish a given task.

If votes counted, I'd second this.

Other arguments aside, having both string.join() and ''.join() seems
unpythonic in its TMTOWTDIness, and making string.join() go away is
clearly not a good idea, so...

Making this method of the string object be a 'don't use this unless
you mean it' sort of thing (''.__join(), for instance) would be much
more palatable.

-Justin