Pythonwin is terrible!

Boudewijn Rempt boud at rempt.xs4all.nl
Fri Jun 9 15:50:34 EDT 2000

Thomas Weholt <thomas at cintra.no> wrote:
> Yo,

> PythonWin has some great stuff, like "partial" code-completion. I too
> have som problems with code gone haywire, sometimes Pythonwin gets
> stuck, but most of the time it`s a good alternative to IDLE.

Indeed - I'm quite jealous of Windows Python developers - I think
Pythonwin is great. A really nice editor (even if the 1.6a2 version
doesn't search & replace correctly - a simple bug I guess), good
class browser (but I don't know why I can't add a path to the Python
path with a simple toolbar button & common file dialog), and a very
nice feel to it generally - it just looks clean and unobtrusive.

I've spent a few weeks editing code meant to run under Linux at
my workplace, where I have to use Windows (didn't have any work
to do, so could work on my own projects), and I really liked it
a lot. Now if I could find time I'd like to clone it for Linux/PyQt,
with a gui editor thrown in - but I first want to get a 1.0 release
of Kura out!

Another curious thing - I've written reams of Python code without
the ability to run it (it uses both MySQL and PyKDE) and when I came
home it just worked - and I'm normally a write-a-few-lines-and-test-it
developer...

> I use Emacs under Linux and it works just fine. Just wish the
> code-completion-thingy in Pythonwin could somehow be implemented in
> Emacs. That`s probably never gonna happen, but an editor with these
> capabilities would help the python grow bigger, and Windows-converts
> like myself get over the habits gotten from programming in
> Delphi/JBuilder. Code-completion, Code-Insight, parameter-lookups ...
> It would be nice wouldn`t it??!

The lookups aren't that great - they only find what you've already used
in that file. I'd like loopup to look in every file that's included for
completion. But I'm not going to complain - it's good for my memory not
to have it ;-).

--

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://www.valdyas.org