Python Productivity over C++

Eric Lee Green eric at estinc.com
Fri Jun 9 11:26:39 EDT 2000

Steve Mullarkey wrote:
> I have read in several places productivity claims of 5 to 10 times over
> 'C' and "C++". I would like to ask for some feedback from "C++"
> programmers who have moved to Python as to whether these estimates are
> realistic.
>
> In "C++" I have :-

[Lots of tools, libraries, and pre-defined classes to ease the process.]

> I don't want to start a flame war but, given the above, I just can't see
> where the productivity increase is generated.

Sooner or later, no matter how comprehensive your tools and libraries, you
must write code. Python code is much more compact than C++ code. For example,
a netstream class took 3 pages of "C" code (would have taken the same amount
of C++ code, since no STL container class was applicable here).  It took half
a page of Python code. The Python code was written in 1 hour. The "C" code was
written in 4 hours. The two classes were functionally equivalent (one lives on
a client where Python is not available, one lives on a server where Python is
available).

Our QuickStart product is written in C++. A product we are currently working
on is written (mostly) in Python (with some "C" modules and programs). So we
do have some experience with both. We would not have even started our current
project if C++ had been a requirement, because there is no way we could
deliver it with the manpower we have. (Even with Python it's a stretch -- Hey,
if anybody out there is looking for a good Python job, leave me email,
especially if you've done any sort of GUI work in the past, you're hired :-).

Eric Lee Green                         eric at estinc.com
Software Engineer                      Visit our Web page:
Enhanced Software Technologies, Inc.   http://www.estinc.com/
(602) 470-1115 voice                   (602) 470-1116 fax