Darwin (Not Python, yet...)

Jeffrey P Shell jeffrey at digicool.com
Mon Jun 26 11:34:07 EDT 2000

>   What's the state of Python on Darwin?
>   Any one do a build yet with X11, Tkinter, ( or WxWindows or Qt or ... )?
>   Any tips?
>
>   Darwin and OSX integration: Is this close enough to make one version
>     (with DLLs to support all of the options, for example, if you're
>      running Darwin, you may have X11, but you don't have Carbon, etc.)

Is there work being done on this?  Is Objective Everything running again?

There are so many possible API's in MacOS X for Python, that there could (in
theory) be three pythons targeted at different markets::

Darwin / BSD -- for command line folks (should work the same in Darwin and
MacSO X.  Should support threading && shared libraries easily so that Zope
can be more easily configured against it!).  BTW:::::::  As of Python 1.5.2,
building Python on an HFS+ partition is nearly impossible.  HFS+ is not case
sensitive, and the Python build directory conficts with the built 'python'.
'make install' subsequently fails.  I've also had odd experiences with fcntl
on my most recent attempt at building (I was running DP4 of MacOS X, but
building on the UFS (case sensitive file system) partition that I have MacOS
X Server installed on.).

Integration with Cocoa -- Actually, JPython could work here.  Using JPython,
i was able to import the com.apple.yellowbox.* packages which are the Cocoa
API's for Java and play around a little bit.  Everything covered in Apple's
Cocoa reference for Java is usable (naturally) in JPython.  Pretty cool.
Cocoa is much easier to use for scripting the MacOS X interface than
AppleEvents in Carbon.

Integration with Carbon -- This could be considered the MacOS X version of
MacPython, which has toolbox support, AppleEvents, and other MacOS (7-9)
specific features && IDE.

It would be nice to have one Python that could load and unload bundles to
support all of these features, but I imagine that would take a lot more work
than most people have time for.  I know I'm nowhere near smart enough to
even start trying to grokk it.

But a really good Python at the Darwin/BSD level would be great for Zope.
I've managed a couple of times to get it built in a way that Zope likes
(until today's 'fcntl' oddness.  hellIfIKnowWhatThatMeans()).

I have a document up on zope.org that talks about building Python 1.5.2 for
Zope usage.  I'm *begging* anyone smarter with Darwin and Python to try to
address the issues that i've had.  They should be documented on the page.

http://www.zope.org/Members/jshell/buildingZopeOnMacOSXServer

multigratzi, jshell