(Serious?) package namespace problem (and a proposal)

Nhi Vanye offer at sgi.com
Wed Jun 28 22:18:37 EDT 2000

$ from bjorn at roguewave.com -#96744 | sed "1,$s/^/> /"

>Well, I get the problem too now (bang my head hard enough and I'll
>eventually understand ;-)

I agree, it suddenly clicked when I read an example in another thread.

>The relative import feature probably should be "shot in the head", but
>since it's in use (and presumably useful), how do we go about loading
>the global modules?
>
>The current suggestions are "import magicroot.os" and "import .os". I
>don't like either, but would probably prefer the first since it is more
>explicit...

Well I don't like the text 'magicroot', but the logic is valid.

global would probably be reasonable magicmarker, as its a keyword it
can never be a valid module, and it fits with the concept.

So my vote goes for

import global.os

:-)

>-- bjorn