Case-sensitivity: why -- or why not? (was Re: Damnation!)

Christian Tanzer tanzer at swing.co.at
Mon Jun 5 02:06:25 EDT 2000

Johannes Nix <Johannes.Nix at mail.uni-oldenburg.de> wrote:

> Russell Wallace <rwallace at esatclear.ie> writes:
>
> > It seems to me that the important argument in this context is "case
> > insensitivity will break millions of lines of existing code, and perhaps
> > split the user base if a significant number of existing users refuse to
>
> It is a trivial task to convert case-sensitive identifiers in unique
> case-insensitive identifiers in case of a name clash.

Unfortunately, it isn't.

One of Python's big strengths are features like `eval' and `exec'.
It's impossible to auto-convert the case of identifiers built
by a program dynamically.

--
Christian Tanzer                                         tanzer at swing.co.at
Glasauergasse 32                                       Tel: +43 1 876 62 36