ANNOUNCEMENT: Python Development Team Moves to BeOpen.com

Jacek Generowicz jmg at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jun 7 10:24:33 EDT 2000

Aahz Maruch wrote:

> Okay, okay, a joke's a joke, but if people are actually going to write
> full paragraphs in Dutch, it'd be nice if someone wrote translations for
> the small minority of us who don't know Dutch.

Brief summary thus far:

It all started with Peter Schneider-Kamp congratulating Guido on `taking the
first step towards divorce'.  This led Martijn to mention his conspiracy theory,
and, later, to wonder (in Dutch) why so many people on this NG appear to speak
the language.

Shae suggested that not only people who speak Dutch are interested in Python,
which engendered the reply that all Dutch speakers should be interested in
Python.

Konrad Hinsen then emphasized that we only *appear* to speak Dutch, and
hypothesized that we are all bots, written by a single Dutch programmer; or maybe
that there is only one person posting to this NG, under hundreds of
noms-de-plume, in order to create the impression that Python is popular . . . the
thrust of his argument was that there are numerous rational explanations, which
do not require the invocation of cosmic forces. Martijn, earlier, expressed his
chagrin (in English) at this type of explanation.

Konrad's misspelling of the Dutch word `meerdere' (numerous) making it sound much
more like a French expletive led to to an observation about said
slip-of-the-tongue.

That's about it . . . you haven't really missed much, except for the very first
felicitation about which I still haven't made up my mind: did he mean to write
what he wrote, or did the message get slightly mangled somewhere in the process .
. . come on Peter, I think we should be told: was it your joke, or your Belgian
friend's joke on you ?

Jacek