Which linux distros have Python by default?

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed Jun 14 08:05:56 EDT 2000

[Michael Ströder]

> S.u.S.E. comes with packages for Python, Tkinter and other handy
> Python modules.  Well, the person who installs it has to choose it in
> the install application called YaST (series d).

Yes, but you choose Python explicitly only for simpler profiles.
Python gets installed automatically in more sophisticated profiles.
If you tune a simple profile yourself (which is what I usually do), you
merely confirm once the installation of Python, when a dependency of any
package you add to the profile.  This is more and more likely, as Python
gets more often needed in packages.  In my last SuSE installation, a few
days ago, I did not have to explictly select neither Python nor `pygtk'.