Styling Temporary Code

Paul Hughett hughett at mercur.uphs.upenn.edu
Thu Jun 1 16:48:36 EDT 2000

Pete Shinners <pete at visionart.com> wrote:
: I've been developing in C for several years and have
: really been enjoying python recently.

: one thing i do frequenctly in C is to place temporary
: "debug/doublecheck/sanity" type code while i'm developing
: it. i always put this code in with no indenting, so it's
: easy to spot, work with, and cleanup. it looks something
: like this...

: int myfunc(int nullargs)
: {
:     int newval = do_fancy_stuff(nullargs);
: cout << "newval = " << newval << endl;
:     return more_fancy(newval);
: }

In C I habitually add a comment /* DEBUG */ to such code; then I
can use the search command in the editor to find all instances quickly.
A possible translation into Python would be

: int myfunc(int nullargs)
: {
:     int newval = do_fancy_stuff(nullargs);
:     cout << "newval = " << newval << endl;  # DEBUG
:     return more_fancy(newval);
: }

for a single line, or something like

: int myfunc(int nullargs)
: {
:     int newval = do_fancy_stuff(nullargs);
      # DEBUG
:     cout << "newval = " << newval << endl;
      # /DEBUG
:     return more_fancy(newval);
: }

if you want to more explicitly mark the exact beginning and
end of the test code.

Paul Hughett