Python Productivity over C++

Courageous jkraska1 at san.rr.com
Mon Jun 12 02:33:05 EDT 2000

> My first impression is that its dynamic typing, uncluttered syntax and
> ample built-in types encourages more "natural" designs. It makes
> coding easier and more fun (which is important to me). Even as a
> newcomer, I feel that I'm using the language with more pleasure and
> confidence rather than carefully paying attention to all its
> idiosyncracies (C++) or forcing my design to fit the paradigm
> ("classical OO" / Eiffel). I find that Python translates thought into
> code without too much fuss, and virtually no linguistic cruft. But is
> there more to it than that?
>
> What is it about Python that encourages the "component" style you
> described?

For one, treating each file/module as a distinct object is
componentizing in itself, but this is neither here nor there.
I find that you observations are closer to the most important
truth than not: python is syntactically lightweight, and yet
has rich expressive power.

Python is a simply wonderful prototyping environment, IMO.
Now only if it had an optimizing compiler...

C/