Python module for Dbase files?

Anders Eriksson ame at swipnet.se
Thu Jun 22 17:24:44 EDT 2000

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000 15:27:44 GMT, "William Dandreta"
<wjdandreta at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Right now we are using a Dbase file with proprietary indexes. The .lib that
>we use for access is written in assembly language so it is restricted to
>DOS.

shelve will not do.

>Eventually we plan to migrate to Linux. So I need something platform
>independent.

Why don't you set up a Linux server and a TCP/IP net with DOS clients.
Then you could have the database on the server and you would have much
more to choose from!

>I checked the website for MetaKit. There are no DOS binaries and I searched
>the site for DOS but nothing useful showed up so I lost interest.

No I also checked. There is no DOS version, there is the source code
so You could maybe create one...

>What's wrong with xDB?

It's probably nothing wrong with xDB, but I think it's rather a big
task to port it to DOS and create a Python Wrapper. So maybe there are
other solutions that are better?

As I said earlier maybe a Linux server and DOS client is the way to
go?

// Anders