Python Productivity over C++

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Jun 9 10:55:57 EDT 2000

Mike Fletcher <mfletch at tpresence.com> writes:

> Just a minor note, having spent all of last night (unsuccessfully)
> trying to track down a memory leak.  Yes, memory leak tools would be
> nice to have in Python.  Hidden memory leaks (cycles) are rare, but
> when they happen in a complex project they are often a nightmare to
> track down.  An optional garbage collector with a debug mode saying
> "hey, I found a cycle that wasn't cleaned up, the objects were:
> object types, object cycle description" would be really cool.  Yes,
> I'd probably remove it for the final proggy, but as a development
> tool it would be very, very, useful, and is currently (to my
> memory), not available.

Have you tried Neil Schemenauer's patch?

http://www.enme.ucalgary.ca/~nascheme/python/gc.html

It can help with some of these things.

There's also cyclops, which I think is somewhere on ftp.python.org.

Cheers,
M.

--
  Academic politics is the most vicious and bitter form of politics,
  because the stakes are so low.                      -- Wallace Sayre