Why not a "Deluxe" Python-distribution

thomas at cintra.no thomas at cintra.no
Wed Jun 7 20:25:51 EDT 2000

Hmmm ... paying money. That`ll throw some people off. BUT, one
solution could be to put stuff like PostgreSQL, Apache, Zope, lots of
docs, code, examples, modules AND ( best of all ) a Linux-distribution
on the CD. That way it would be a complete development solution, and
the added value would probably make people more willing to spend a
couple of bucks on it.

http://www.thekompany.com/home/ has a package in development called
PowerPlant which is more along the lines of what I described above. A
solution more aimed at Python alone would be even better.

The bottom line is that a solution for which user has to pay has to
something more that just what they could download. Most people can
afford a 5-10MB download, and that would cover lots, LOTS of
python-modules. Putting it on a cd wouldn`t be necessary.

Am I making sense? I just think this would really benefit the
acceptance of python. If anybody has pointers on how we could do this
we could get started. What is needed? Would we have to compile a
version of the package for each and every Linux-distro,
Windows-version, BeOS-version (?) etc. A significant part of it is
platform-independant, so that shouldn`t be a problem. The rest, like
database-drivers, modules available in source etc. that`s another
matter. Ideas?

The first thing could at least be to gather all platform-independant
stuff and compile a package of that, and take the rest from there.

Thomas