Does Python help with the no-Unix handicap?

Grant Edwards ge at nowhere.none
Mon Jun 12 12:45:01 EDT 2000

In article <ltq8ksc1a4jnpb54bkgeho8sdu32k561bf at 4ax.com>, mkx at excite.com wrote:

>So my question is this: Is Python a more "Windows-friendly" language?

IMO, Python is more "person-friendly" than Perl.  Since many
Windows users are persons (though I sometimes wonder about the
its designers), Python could be considered more "Windows-friendly".

>Is it's base structure less related to any one specific operating
>system?

Perl isn't so much related to an OS, as it is to some other
utilities (awk,sed,grep) and languages (bourne shell).

>Is learning Python an exercise in learning the language, and
>not a Unix tutorial?

Definitely.  Python is very OS-neutral.  The first non-trivial
application I wrote was created mostly under Linux, but runs
exclusively under Win32.  (By using some test-stub classes, it
will run under Linux, but it doesn't really do anything
useful.)

>Can I be successful even if I do not use Unix ;)

Yes, for some definitions of successful.  My definition of
success includes using Windows as infrequently as possible, but
your's may differ.  ;)

As far as Python goes, it works almost as well under Windows as
it does under Unix, and there are some handy libraries (like COM
objects) that exist for Windows and not for Unix.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  The entire CHINESE
                                  at               WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL TEAM all