more python evangelising...

Warren Postma embed at NOSPAM.geocities.com
Tue Jun 27 12:19:07 EDT 2000

> On the other hand, maybe it will be possible to add 'optional' features to
> Python 3000 that will make it suitable for that kind of development
without
> interfering with its simplicity and (development) speed.

Sometimes it's not so simple as "large system" versus "small system".  Let
me elaborate.

For example, some large systems in C that I have worked on were essentially
a large proprietary scripting language. Replacing that scripting language
with Python basically obsoleted the core of the large C system, and
basically left some C extensions, and Python.  That is a perfect example of
a good place to use a standard language instead of a complex C system that
wanted to be a language, but never quite arrived.  This is what in fact
happened to us with respect to two large commercial packages I used to have
to use: Fix DMACs and Wonderware InTouch, two industrial software packages
which are designed for SCADA and MMI applications in industrial control
systems.   What one really needs is a set of process control and monitoring
objects, and some nice drag-and-drop GUI tools, wrapped around a language
that is so easy to use, that "even an engineer can learn to use it". <smirk>

Warren