planning ALSA PCM audio interface

Jeff Bauer jbauer at rubic.com
Fri Jun 2 19:12:27 EDT 2000

> I think the simplest approach would be to make a
> hierarchy of objects: soundcard, device, channel,
> voice. But perhaps it is not smart to reproduce
> the whole C API...

Johannes,

You didn't mention swig in your post, but I assume
you're familiar with it:

  http://www.swig.org

Swig makes it easy to wrap most of the C API, which
you should probably consider as a first pass -- i.e.
don't assume your interface will be smarter than
the original API -- because at the C level it probably
won't be.

After swigging the API, you can build nice clean Python
classes and play with different interface ideas until
you're happy with the design.

first-swig-then-collect-the-swag-ly y'rs,

Jeff Bauer
Rubicon Research