tcl/tk vs. python/Tkinter - Example attached

Chetan Ahuja ahujache at cse.msu.edu
Wed Jun 14 15:29:21 EDT 2000

Daniel Kramer <daniel at visionart.com>  spoke thusly:
<snip>

> Since I am new to this lang I was just wondering if there was a way to
> get better python/TK performance... if anyone could try out the examples
> and let me know.. for me the tcl/tk one feels much more responsive but I
> don't have any hard numbers to prove that.

> I have been reading that wxWindows is the much faster solution.. but I
> am very familiar with TK and it's plenty fast for what I need.. but I
> worry that the Tkinter ver won't be fast enough once I add alot more to
> it.

> -Daniel

  Just adding my 2 cents here. I think I see  a very slight difference
  on  my linux machine with all the latest versions of
  interpreters. It's a celeron 366 with 128 Megs of RAM.
  The python version seems just a tiny bit slower if I move the boxes
  around very fast. And oh, the difference almost disappears for me on
  commenting out the following line.

     self.canvas.itemconfig(Node.currentNode[0] + "_base",fill = "red")

     Could this change in color be causing the  perception of
     jumpiness....?? The boxes always remain grey in the tcl version.

      Chetan