Python Productivity over C++ (Encapsulation)

"Jürgen A. Erhard" jae at ilk.de
Sat Jun 17 22:26:14 EDT 2000

    Frank> Hung Jung Lu wrote:

[...]
    >> Type strictness is fine. It has all to do with performance: small, fast,
    >> efficient machine code. Encapsulation is a totally different story.
    >>
    >> One of the biggest lies in modern computer language theory is that
    >> encapsulation is there for a good technical reason.
    >>
    >> And generations of students were lied to, and sadly, 99% believed in what
    >> the textbooks said. Some of them became programmers, and only after 15 or 20
    >> years in the field would they wake up one day to realize that, heck, they've
    >> been lied to all along. :) (Doesn't all this remind you of Nazis and
    >> Communism? Collective blindness is far more common that you think, ha!)
    >> [snip]

    Frank> Crap. Encapsulation allows me to change the storage hidden
    Frank> by a class from a Stack to a MultiMap without any effect
    Frank> througout the rest of the system. It does not require
    Frank> anyone to recompile, doesn't require any more maintenance.

    Frank> I also use data hidding in Python.

    Frank> What a stupid response you made. You must be guilty of
    Frank> exposing the data members in the interface. This is
    Frank> sickening.

I don't know what's the worst: Hung's original mail (ill-informed
indeed), Frank's response (certainly correct, but also completely
unnecessary) or me letting myself getting dragged into this.

Oh, and why any reply to this is non-existent (and Frank's mail
unnecessary): Look up Godwin's Law ;-) (and thus Hung also lost the
argument...)

Bye, J

PS: Encapsulation in most languages, BTW, doesn't go far enough
(IMPAO).  Like, in C++ you have to show all the private/protected
members in the interface... I'd much rather put all of that in the
implementation, so it doesn't show in a header file.  [EOTangent]

--
Jürgen A. Erhard      eMail: jae at ilk.de      phone: (GERMANY) 0721 27326
          My WebHome: http://members.tripod.com/Juergen_Erhard