Speed with Python

Ken Seehof kens at sightreader.com
Tue Jun 20 18:29:41 EDT 2000

In situations where I want speed, I prototype in python, then write extensions.
This is a convenient approach since the test suite you write for the prototype
can be used on the extension unchanged.

I do all GUI work in python (wxPython) and I have not noticed a difference in
speed as compared to C++, probably because most time is spent in library calls
anyway.  I suspect you will have similar results with database work, though I
haven't done high volume database work in python myself.  The benchmarks that
show 10-20 fold differences are doing number crunching or equivalent low-level
processing.  In real world situations, where your inner loop is calling into
libraries, the difference is negligable in my experience.

--
Ken Seehof
kens at sightreader.com
starship.python.net/crew/seehof