Tkinter cannot find tcl.init

Matti Juhani Heinonen majuhe at kanto.jyu.fi
Mon Jun 26 05:39:33 EDT 2000

Hi all,

I am running NT 4.0 SP6a, Python 1.5.2 and Tcl/Tk 8.0.5 on several
machines which are identical in configuration (same users, same software,
same user rights etc.). On almost all the machines Tkinter runs ok,
but on some of them I get an error:

<quoting>

Traceback (innermost last):
  File "d2hGUI.py", line 1342, in ?
    root = Tkinter.Tk()
  File "C:\Program Files\Python\Lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 886, in __init__
    self.tk = _tkinter.create(screenName, baseName, className)
TclError: Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories:
    {} ./lib/tcl8.0 ./lib/tcl8.0 ./library ./library ./tcl8.0/library ./tcl8.0/l
ibrary

This probably means that Tcl wasn't installed properly.

</quoting>

When logged in as Administrator everything works out fine. When
logged on as any other user I get the above error, although on the
other machines everything is ok for that user. This suggests that
the problem could be user rights related, but the all machines should be
similarly configured (at least I could not find any differences).

There are no excess tk*.dll or tcl*.dll floating around. Setting
TCL_LIBRARY and TK_LIBRARY enviroment variables did not help.
Uninstalling & re-installing the whole Python package did not help.
When I search tcl from the registry of the machine I find the same
settings as on those machines that work.

Copying C:\Program Files\Tcl\lib\* under C:\Program Files\Python\Lib
did not help, but copying C:\Program Files\Tcl\lib\* to
<current working directory of the user>\lib\* did work!

I am getting utterly confused. Anybody have any clue what is going on
or how this could be fixed?

Matti
majuhe at math.jyu.fi <A HREF="http://www.math.jyu.fi/~majuhe/">minun sivuni</A>
Älä hätäile! yIlImQo ! Don't panic!