mixed solution: unicase (unique allowed case) (was: Re:

Neil Hodgson neilh at scintilla.org
Mon Jun 5 20:01:17 EDT 2000

> ... Of course, you may work in a
> different way and find the opposite, but there seemed to be an opinion in
> this thread that I should be prevented from working in a way /I/ find
> reliable and effective, to no benefit that I can see. By all means have
> editors or static checkers with the /option/ of looking for this, but no
> enforcement in the language, please!

   Its often hard to argue against freedom because we have a natural
tendency to desire liberty. I see the big benefit in having programming
language restrictions is that they facilitate reasoning about what code does
by eliminating the need to consider additional realms of variability.

   "OK, so sacrifice your freedom but leave mine alone!"

   By making the restrictions optional, the code is made harder to
understand because of the additional factor that then goes into
understanding it. Because of the optional strict mode of Visual Basic, you
have to remember when reading code whether it is in a strictly typed module
or not.

   Neil